- Iffat Fatima, Sustainability-Aware Software Architecting for the Future Cloud (15th March Session 15.3 17:00 – 18:30)
- Elvin Alberts, Development and Integration of Self-Adaptation Strategies for Robotics Software (15th March Session 15.3 17:00 – 18:30)
- Martin Kjäer, Analyzing the Use of Blockchains for Challenges in Inter-organizational Business Processes (15th March Session 15.4 17:00 – 18:30)
- Rafiullah Omar, AI And Energy Efficiency (16th March Session 16.1 11:00 – 12:30)
Early Career Advisory Panel
- Gerostathopoulos Ilias, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Patricia Lago, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Valentina Lenarduzzi, University of Oulu
- Davide Taibi, Tampere University
- Damian Tamburri, Eindhoven University of Technology
Call for Papers
The goal of the Early Career Researchers Forum (ECRF-ICSA 2023) is to inspire and bring together early career researchers in the field of software architecture. The forum provides a vibrant place for discussing potential and ongoing research in any stage, from ideas to results. The forum strives to provide a friendly environment for early career researchers to get feedback on their work, exchange experiences, ask questions, and explore available research pathways.
Participation is open to anyone who considers themselves an early career researcher, wanting to share research ideas and preliminary results with their peers, and looking for an opportunity to inspire and be inspired, and to learn about research paths. Early career researchers in any stage of their research, including postdocs, Ph.D. candidates, new faculty, undergraduate students, and industry researchers, are all welcome. In addition, we highly encourage and invite early career researchers presenting their work in the main ICSA conference to also participate in this forum.
Areas of interest include software architecture, component-based software engineering, and quality aspects of software and how these relate to the design of software architectures, as provided by the scope of the ICSA2023 conference.
Types of Submissions
This year we call for a single type of submission, focusing on work in progress and future directions. One inspiration for this track is the ICER “work in progress” sessions providing critical early review of study plans and directions (https://archive.icer.acm.org/icer-2018/work-in-progress/)
- Ongoing Research Paper (4 to 6 pages) presenting previously unpublished research, including motivation, goals, preliminary results, planned next steps, and industry impact of ongoing research outlining very early ideas on a possible research topic, such as a potential dissertation topic, with the goal of obtaining feedback from forum attendees.
We challenge the authors to think about the potential impact of their research on industrial practice (whether in the near- or long-term, based on the nature of the research), and to dedicate a section to the Industrial Impact of their work.
Ask your main research advisor (in case of research candidates) or supervisor (in case of PhD graduates or industry researcher) for a letter of recommendation. This letter should include:
- Your name and position
- Current status of your research
- An endorsement of the publication of your submission
The letter should be in PDF format and should be sent directly by your advisor via email to both ECRF-ICSA2023 Co-Chairs. This recommendation letter will be held confidential. The e-mail subject should have the subject “ICSA2023-ECRF Recommendation” plus your Last Name. Deadline for sending the recommendation letter: December 8th, 2021. No letter is required for new faculty.
Formatting and Submission Instructions
All submissions must conform to the Author Instructions, and be submitted electronically via the EasyChair submission system (Early Career Researchers Forum track), by the submission deadline, and must not have been published before.
- Abstract submission: December 2st, 2022
- Full paper submission: December 9th, 2022
- Notification of acceptance: January 20th, 2023
- Camera-ready paper submission: January 27th, 2023 (firm)
Notes: All deadlines are 23:59h AoE (anywhere on Earth)
Publication and Attendance
All accepted contributions will be published in ICSA 2023 Companion proceedings, and appear in IEEE Xplore Digital Library.
Note that at least one author of an accepted contribution is required to register and present the work at the conference. In the absence of restrictions (such as those due to Covid-19), an in-person presentation is required.
Presentation and Discussion
To further facilitate the discussions around the presented research topics, we assign discussants to each presentation. Please find the description of the discussant below. Presenter will give her/his talk about their research. Following the presentation, the discussants assigned to each paper will make brief comments (5 minutes), including some combination of:
- how the paper made the discussant think differently about her or his own work
- how the paper is related in some way to the discussant’s own work
- some advice for the authors in continuing their work
- identification of collaboration opportunities or synergies
- discussion questions based on the presented paper
For more information, please contact the ECRF Track Chairs:
- Niel Ernst , University of Victoria, Canada
- Elena Navarro , Universidad d Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- Anne Koziolek, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- Perla Velasco-Elizondo, Autonomous University of Zacatecas
- Ralf Reussner, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- Bradley Schmerl, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- Lu Xiao, Stevens Institute of Technology, USA
- Joao Arthur-Brunet, Federal University of Campina Grande, Brazil