Dear ICSA Community,
First of all, we hope that you and your loved ones remain safe and well.
Since the day we announced that ICSA was being postponed for the original date (March 16-20), the steering committee has been discussing different alternatives for the conference.
After the initial discussions (email and virtual meetings), we decided to conduct a survey with registered participants for the conference. The main question in the survey was: “What should we do with ICSA 2020?” Respondents were asked to list their first and second choices among five alternatives. We received 60 responses, among which the first choices were:
- 33 – (55%) – Move ICSA 2020 to a later date in 2020 in Brazil
- 20 – (33.3%) – Hold ICSA 2020 virtually
- 3 – (5%) – Cancel ICSA 2020 completely
- 1 – (1.7%) – Join ICSA 2020 with another conference (ECSA or SPLC). Preferred SPLC
- 1 – (1.7%) – Hold ICSA in Brazil in 2021
- 1 – (1.7%) – Hold ICSA 2020 virtually and organize ICSA 2021 in Salvador
- 1 – (1.7%) – Capture videos for paper presentations
Thus, we have made the decision to move ICSA 2020 to a new date, November 2-6, 2020, in Salvador, which is coherent with the feedback from our respondents.
On the other hand, we understand that there are no certainties as to what the progression of COVID-19 may be over the next several months and we are monitoring the situation around the world. During the first half of July, we will revisit this decision in the light of the situation around the world and come back to you if November 2020 was still expected to be problematic for traveling. Furthermore, for those who might have individual difficulties to attend in person, please contact the organizers at email@example.com.
I hope all our countries can get over the pandemic soon and that we can welcome you in November in Salvador for a great ICSA conference.
Eduardo Almeida as ICSA 2020 General Chair, on behalf of the ICSA steering committee.