Call for Papers
The IEEE International Conference on Software Architecture (ICSA 2021) is the premier gathering of practitioners and researchers interested in software architecture, component-based software engineering, and quality aspects of complex software systems. ICSA continues the tradition of a working conference, where researchers meet practitioners and where software architects can explain the problems they face in their day-to-day work and try to influence the future of the field. Interactive working sessions will be the place where researchers meet practitioners to identify opportunities to create the future.
The COVID-19 situation is challenging systems and their software architectures in different ways: the way we are collaboratively creating software architectures without the typical in-person activities such as workshops, brainstorming sessions, reviews; the challenges facing our systems in terms of new usage patterns and business opportunities; and the impact they are having on our social and economic well being. The theme of ICSA 2021 is “Software Architecture in the COVID-19 Reality.”
We call on both researchers and practitioners for contributions that advance our understanding of architectures in real-world software, facilitate empirical research by making architectural artifacts and tools publicly available, and promote replicability of results through common datasets and benchmarks. We welcome original papers that explore and explain the role of architecture in current systems and future systems. This conference looks at what can be learned from our software architecture history, experience, studies, and best practices.
Abstracts due: Dec 9, 2020
Full papers due: Dec 16, 2020 – AoE (Anywhere on Earth)
Notification of acceptance: Jan 22, 2021
Camera-ready due: Feb 19, 2021 – AoE (Anywhere on Earth)
Topics of interest for the conference include (but are not limited to) the following themes:
- Architecture & CI/CD, DevOps, Containerization, Serverless platforms
- Microservices and event-driven architectures
- Model driven engineering for continuous architecting
- Agile architecting and other approaches to architecting
- Architecting specific types of systems, such as Systems of Systems, IoT systems, AI/ML systems, CPSs, software ecosystems, self-adaptive systems, or autonomous systems
- Component based software engineering
- Architecture evaluation and quality aspects of software architectures
- Automatic extraction and generation of software architecture descriptions
- Refactoring and evolving architecture design decisions and solutions
- Architecture frameworks and architecture description languages
- Linking architecture to requirements and/or implementation
- Architecture conformance
- Reusable architectural solutions
- Software architecture knowledge management
- Software architecture for legacy systems and systems integration
- Architecting families of products
- Cultural, ethics, economic, business, financial, and managerial aspects of software architecture
- Software architect roles and responsibilities
- Training, soft skills, coaching, mentoring, education, and certification of software architects
- Stakeholder management and collaborating with other business and technical domains
- State-of-the-art and state-of-practice in software architecture
- Industrial experiments and case studies
We solicit the submission of technical research papers that describe original and significant results of theoretical, empirical, conceptual, or experimental work in software architecture research or industrial practice. The submissions will be evaluated based on novelty, soundness, significance, verifiability, and presentation quality, in that order.
All submissions must conform to the IEEE paper formatting and submission instructions and must not exceed 10 pages for the main text, inclusive of all figures, tables, appendices, etc. Two additional pages containing only references are permitted. The submissions must conform to the author instructions.
Please note that ICSA 2021 will pursue a double-blind review process for technical research papers only, therefore all technical research paper submissions have to fulfill the double-blind reviewing requirements. Technical research papers submitted that disregard these review requirements will not be reviewed but desk-rejected.
All papers are to be submitted electronically via the EasyChair submission system by the submission deadline, and must not have been published before.
All accepted technical research papers will be published in ICSA 2021 proceedings, and appear in IEEE Xplore Digital Library. At least one author of an accepted contribution is required to register and present the work at the conference.
To be announced.
Anton Jansen (Phillips Innovation Services, The Netherlands)
Grace A. Lewis (Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute, USA)